tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:54:53 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:

>Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>

>>Because the xerces version bundled with 1.4 is an older one, doesn't
>>support XML schema properly, and contains bugs (and is not as performant
>>as the 2.x version)
>>

>Isn't Crimson in JDK1.4 ? I remember we decided to disable XML schema
>validation.

Crimson & Xerces are available. Crimson is the default one. Yes
validation is turned off by default.

>At least in tomcat5 I never use xerces - only the bundled parser, and so
>far I've seen no problems.

Crimson is a very good parser, and it still faster that Xerces in some
case. The only reason I see for bundling xerces is for when we turn on
validation & the web.xml used a schema for validation.

>XML schema validation is just bad - if the spec would _require_ the
>container to validate ( and I hope it won't ) - then we can provide a
>separate "validator" that will include xerces and some script that users
>can run.

 From what I know, that will not happen for the 2.4 timeframe.

-- Jeanfrancois