tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Amy Roh" <amy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC5 JMX domain engine issue
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:14:10 GMT
> Hans Hrasna wrote:
>
> > jsr77 allows multiple servers to be grouped under a single domain of
> > control. It also allows a system to have multiple domains. It is
possible
> > to preserve the 1 engine 1 domain 1 service cardinality and still be
jsr77
> > compliant. You current implementation would need to register a
J2EEDomain
> > compliant mbean for each unique domain it creates and a j2eeserver mbean
> > in each domain, which should manage the runtime state of the engine
> > itself. Since you have a 1 domain -> 1 server relationship, they domain
> > and server managed objects may seem redundant, but the domain object has
> > additional requirements, such as aggregating notifications for the
domain
> > (only if it is a eventProvider).
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>
> For now - I already made the changes to place all JSR77 objects in the
> j2ee domain, and leaves tomcat internal components in its own domain.
> But it may be a good idea to add a j2eeDomain/j2eeServer component in
> each tomcat domain.
>
> Maybe we could just register the Engine as a j2eeServer ? This would give
> us a standard name for the engine. Since tomcat will use it's own private
> domain - I think it makes sense.

I don't think registering Engine as j2eeServer is a good idea.  First of
all, j2eeServer != Engine for most of App Servers and this won't allow
having multiple engines in the same server.  The semantic of j2eeServer as
defined in JSR77 suggests that it is an access point to all deployed objects
(including EJB modules), of course, the concept of Engine does not make
sense for EJBs.  If we use JSR77 reserved names for Engine MBean in tomcat,
there will be no way of removing it from App Server.

Thanks,
Amy