tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Amy Roh" <amy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0.2] New tag at the end of the week ?
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:50:56 GMT
> Amy Roh wrote:
>
> >> No, you can't change the object name of Servlet and WebModule. It is
> >> defined in JSR77, and we're stuck with the attributes there. Can't
> >> "extend" the standard by adding more to the names.
> >
> > Where does it say that?  J2EEManagedObject objectName has syntax of

[domainName]:j2eeType=value,name=value,<parent-j2eeType>[,property=value]
> > 77.3.1.1.2 says the key property list must contain at least the
> > mandatory key properties but doesn't limit to only mandatory.  It says
> > "it may contain any number of optional key properties whose order is not
> > significant".  I think you can add "engineName" attribute.
>
> I missed that part. Well, it seems there are few other things
> that are missing in the jsr77 impl.
>
> So the question remain if we want to add the "engine=XXX" to all mbeans,
> and the code to use the engine name when refering to other components.

Do we have to add "engineName" to *all* mbeans?

How about we add an option to set "J2EEDomain" for WebModule and Servlet?
So when J2EEDomain for those components aren't null, we can register the
mbeans under J2EEDomain as well as tomcat domain.  At the time of
registration we can save tomcatDomain name as "engineName" for those J2EE
mbeans.  In Tomcat, we can just look at "engineName" for WebModule and
Servlet mbeans to do JMX operations if they're set to something.  If not, we
can assume its domain is the same as tomcat domain.  This way we won't have
to change other components (keep one engine per domain) and should work both
in Tomcat and J2EE world?  I'll check with jsr77 to see if registering in
both domains are ok and if there're better ways to handle this.

Thanks,
Amy