tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Distributing the .jar files as binaries in release
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:44:45 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:

>> - the jar names should be fully versioned ( otherwise we can't keep
>> more than a version in the dist dir ), and a symbolic link will point to
>> the latest release.
>> We would have:
>>   catalina.jar -> catalina-4.1.24.jar
>>   tomcat-util.jar -> tomcat-util-4.1.24.jar
>>   etc.
>
> A big +1, it the way we choose in jPackage project but symlink didn't
> works on Windows boxes....

AFAIK all apache mirrors are on Unix machines, and symlinks are already used
in the "dist/" ( for -latest.tar.gz ).

The links are only used to allow people who want a "latest stable". They can
also be augmented with a descriptor ( similar with Apt, etc ) or even
multiple descriptors to support a variety of tools.

My goal with this proposal was to make it as simple as possible, with the
minimum amount of change - just a small incremental addition to the current
dist structure.

>> - in tomcat5 we should start including the _major_ version number in the
>> jar name: catalina5.jar. A version number should be used whenever we have
>> a break in backward compatibility.
>
> May I suggest :
>
> catalina5-5.0.1.jar ?

Duplicated the 5 doesn't look very good, I don't know any project doing
that.
The goal is to make it clear that it is a different product, that is not
completely backward compatible ( even if we try our best ). There are few
linux products that do that ( embed a number in the main name ).

An alternative is to have:
  catalina-5.jar -> catalina-5.0.1.jar
and use catalina-5.jar as the name in the distribution.

BTW, I am _not_ proposing the use of catalina.5.0.1.jar ( full versioned
names ) in the runtime, this is only about distributing .jars as part of
the binary release, and if this works we can extend to .war.

Costin