tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Distributing the .jar files as binaries in release
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:29:48 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> If it's just to be used for build tools, then it's ok (and no need for a
> proposal, it just needs to get done). The trouble starts if users start
> thinking they can use that to upgrade to a newer release, just by
> upgrading one or two JARs (or ever worse, mixing components). Then
> there's trouble.

Mixing components may be bad - since it is not tested or supported.

However upgrading only and individual component may be very good in
the future. Why do you think that "patch releases" ( where only
few individual .jars are updated ) are bad ?

For example if we fix something in jk - should we have to make a full
new release of tomcat ? Same for jasper, catalina, etc.

As long as we test the new jar against the stable version - and _we_
recommend the components that should be mixed - I think it is far
better way to upgrade.

Costin