tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: socket errors in catalina.out and mod_jk.log
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:30:53 GMT
Sven Köhler wrote:

>> 3. On top of regular request/response. Almost everything related with
>> auth, pings, discovery, reconfiguration can be implemented by just using
>> regular Ajp13 requests - with a special URL. That is by far my favorite
>> mechanism. It also has the advantage that it can reuse other parts of
>> tomcat - mapper, coyote actions, etc. I strongly believe that most
>> features should be implemented at this layer ( regardless of the request
>> message or the wire protocol changes )
>
> special URLs are by far the best mechanism?
> the next simpson-episode should start with bart writing "special urls
> are by far the worst mechanism ever" to the board.
>
> it's working around a missing feature - nothing more, nothing less.
> it's the worse method i could imagine.
>
> your are talking about seomthing like
>    /_ajp/config
> or somethin, right?
> what if this URL occurs within the users directory structure?
> using illegal URLs like
>    _ajp/config
> could confuse other ajp-implementation that are not aware of such sh*t.

Old ajp implementations will just return the regular 404 or 500 - what else
would you want to happen ? To ignore the unknown messages and let the other
side believe all is ok ?

It can also use a AJP method ( instead of GET ). Again - a regular error
message will be returned.

And again, the confusion happens only if you use new features with old
implementations. I think new features should be explicitedly turned on - or
at least you should be able to turn them off if you know you are talking
with an old version.

IMO this mechanism is far better than bloating the protocol - all experience
we had in the last 3 years shows only few people are willing to mess with
the C code and the lower layers. Higher level constructs are easier to
maintain and debug than wire protocols.

Costin