tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Distributing the .jar files as binaries in release
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:09:41 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>

>>To follow a Packaged approach, ie using rpm/deb, tc5/tc4.1 should
>>have its own jars and dependencies on externals jar (logging, mx4j.).
>>
>>With this way it's easy to maintain a tomcat version with up to date
>>externals jars (assuming they are backward compatible).
>

> Yes - but we'll have to take it with their projects ( jakarta-commons
> mostly, also struts, etc ). For mx4j it's a bit more complicated - IMHO
> all external .jars should be in an apache-wide repository and approved
> by somone who can check all details.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea for every project to distribute jars for
> all other projects. We'll still have to publish a list with the
> dep. version numbers of the "stable" release.

That's why the idea of using a repository of jars is a good idea :

/usr/share/java/log4j-1.1.3.jar
/usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.7.jar
/usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.8.jar
/usr/share/java/log4j.jar -> log4-1.2.8.jar

/usr/share/java/mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar
/usr/share/java/mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar
/usr/share/java/mx4j-jmx.jar -> mx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar
/usr/share/java/mx4j-tools.jar -> mx4j-tools-1.1.1.jar

Each Apache application/tool which require a jar could get,
the latest released which is symlinked to the latest released
or could use a 'named' version since you know that your application
still need an outdated lib.

A common repository is allways simpler to manage....