tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Distributing the .jar files as binaries in release
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:37:46 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> We currently distribute .tar.gz / .zip with the full tomcat as
> well as RPM, .so, .exe.
> I would like to start adding .jar files as part of the release process
> for tomcat - eventually even for 4.1.24 ( we just need to upload the
> current jars as a separate download ).
> The proposal is very simple:
> - jars will be placed in /dist/jakarta/tomcat-x/binaries/
> ( the standard location in the current mirroring scheme )
> - we include only the .jars that are part of tomcat. In time
> we should make sure that the projects we depend on ( logging,
> digester, etc ) start doing the same, and we can adjust the
> build process to get only the jars and support the mirrors.
> For example:
> commons-logging.jar=${mirror}/jakarta/commons/binaries/commons-logging.jar
> - the jar names should be fully versioned ( otherwise we can't keep
> more than a version in the dist dir ), and a symbolic link will point to
> the latest release.
> We would have:
>   catalina.jar -> catalina-4.1.24.jar
>   tomcat-util.jar -> tomcat-util-4.1.24.jar
>   etc.
> - in tomcat5 we should start including the _major_ version number in the
> jar name: catalina5.jar. A version number should be used whenever we have
> a break in backward compatibility.
> Opinions ?
> Remy - could we do that for 4.1.24 ? Should we start asking on commons
> to get the .jars distributed separately so we can use them in the download
> target ?

No, sorry, I don't like the whole idea. We also have some work left to
do to split the main Catalina JAR. I'm quite happy with the current
distributions overall, and users apparently are also.

I would also like the version number to be in the directory (ie, not all
releases coexist in the same dir).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message