tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Pease" <mpe...@chartermi.net>
Subject How to set and verify -Xmx and -Xms settings in Windows
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:13:48 GMT
I am really having a hard time finding out how to set the -Xmx and -Xms CATALINA_OPTS in a
Windows environment.  Here is what I have tried:

1)  Set an environment variable named CATALINA_OPTS = -Xms128m -Xmx384m

Neither service nor command line start seem to acknowledge...

2)  Added CATALINA_OPTS = ... to startup.bat

Still nothing...

3)  Went into registry, added JVM Options for -Xmx and -Xms... per the instructions at Alexandria
Software

Service still doesn't seem to use the new values.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?  And, what is the best way to tell if my changes have taken
effect?  Right now, I am using Java code in my webapp to see what the used, free and max memory
values are.  I have done a lot of searching on the Internet, and this seems to be the appropriate
thing to do, but I want to verify that it is working.  I am getting out of memory errors,
and am trying to bump up the heap limit to try and alleviate them.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Mark