tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Sven Köhler <skoeh...@upb.de>
Subject socket errors in catalina.out and mod_jk.log
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:28:36 GMT
hi,

i didn't get any useful response in the tomcat-user-mailinglist.

many users have messages in their catalina.out, saying that a socket
times out, or a connection had been closed.
these messages look like this:
25.02.2003 20:22:48 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket processConnection
INFO: connection timeout reached
25.02.2003 20:22:50 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket processConnection
INFO: server has been restarted or reset this connection

these messages appear frequently (about every second)
the first message occurs more often than the second one.

i know now, that the second message appears, if apache closes it socket,
and tomcat get a read-error or such.

i don't know, why the first message appears. would be nice to know!

in addition, i see many errors in mod_jk's error-log, if i set the
log-level to "error".

WHY (and i have asked myself a thousand times) is this?
- why doesn't mod_jk send a quit-command to tomcat, and both sides will
gracefully close the connection?
- why do the connections timeout? why isn't there something like a
keep-alive which is send my mod_jk every now and than?

does the AJP13 protocol include keep-alives? does it include something
like quit-command?
if not (that would be a shame btw) is this included in AJP14?
is this a known, but still not fixed, problem?
why isn't it fixed?

i cannot understand, how you can live with that!?

it might be my fault, but nobody seems to know anything about these
strange messages!