tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Voytenko, Dimitry" <dvoyte...@sectordata.com>
Subject RE: class-loading and java.endorsed.dirs
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:35:29 GMT
Hi Tim,

Thanks for an answer. It makes sense.
In this case, it looks like the only way users can take advantage of all
Xalan's features (including extension mechanism) is to store Xalan's jars
into shared\lib directory and add this directory to java.endorsed.dirs,
since normally most users deploy their applications using WAR.

If this is true:
1. Could I request adding this info to FAQ?
2. Could I request adding "shared\lib" to java.endorsed.dirs in
setclasspath.bat(sh)?

Thanks,
Dimitry

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Moore [mailto:tmoore@blackboard.com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 08:15
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: RE: class-loading and java.endorsed.dirs

This is a JVM thing, not a tomcat thing.  You're not normally allowed to
override built-in Java classes locally (for security reasons).  In JDK
1.4, the XML/XSLT classes are built in.  The endorsed standards override
mechanism was added to 1.4 because of the fact that some people might
need or want to use an alternate XML parser or transformer.  So the
JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS thing tells the JVM that it's OK to override Xalan
with libraries from the specified directories.

So I don't think there's any way to specify on a per-webapp basis which
impl to use.  It's all or nothing at the VM instance level.

Also see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/standards/ for more
info.
Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863