tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Shutdown.sh does not work when long lasting operations, such as SQL Queries, are still active!
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:06:55 GMT

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Jindong Li wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:53:52 -0500
> From: Jindong Li <Jindong.Li@solcorp.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Developers List' <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Shutdown.sh does not work when long lasting operations,
>      such  as SQL Queries, are still active!
>
> I think that's what we're experiencing here with Tomcat4.0.5...we have been
> using TC401 and the shutdown is instant...but I think they have changed the
> way TC is shutting down now...TC will gracefully shutdown i.e. waiting for
> all threads finish and then exit...
>
> If you want...you can try TC401, see if you still experience the delay...
>
> I posted a similar message before and haven't got any response from the
> community yet...:-(

It is OK for web applications to start threads -- as long as the web
application cleans up after itself when the application is shut down (the
easiest way to detect that is to create a ServletContextListener and wait
for the contextDestroyed() method of your listener to be called).

The JVM running Tomcat shuts down when all non-daemon threads have been
killed.  Tomcat properly cleans up all the threads that *it* creates -- it
is up to your application to do the same.

> Jindong.

Craig