tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper JspC.java
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:56:31 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Hans Bergsten wrote:
>> remm@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> remm        2003/01/22 03:40:00
>>>
>>>   Modified:    jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper JspC.java
>>>   Log:
>>>   - Fix package name generation.
>>>   - Default to "org.apache.jsp" package name.
>>

>> Why do you need a default package name? Doesn't this make it harder
>> to to use, since the package structure no longer matches the directory
>> structure?
>
> Because if the user doesn't set a package, it won't work with JDK 1.4.
> So I'm forcing one by default; I know the structure won't match.

Then why not default to the context path ?

I think the naming conventions for the generated servlets should be
settled down, documented - and treated as APIs ( i.e. no change unless
absolutely needed ).

>> When I wrote my patch, I also felt that a default package prefix was
>> a good idea, but I dropped it in the end due to the package/directory
>> structure mismatch. If it's really important to, you should also make
>> sure the class files are generated in a directory structure that starts
>> with "org/apache/jsp/"
>
> I was wondering about that, actually, and thought this was inconsistent.

JSPC does generate the right package directory structure. I think JspServlet
should do the same - if it doesn't already.

Costin