tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL/VOTE: JMX hook mechanism
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:13:11 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> I have one general comment.  For security I would like to see two
> different
> MBeanServers used.  One for config management the other for runtime
> monitoring. This way you could implement diffrent access controls for
> config management
> from runtime  monitoring.

That's one concern I have with JMX - there is some protection using
the Policy ( in JMX1.2 ), but if you don't run the sandbox you're
on your own.

All JMX implementations seem to support some "interceptors" and we can
try to implement our own add-on scheme ( not sure if Sun RI extensions are
documented or exist - but MX4J and Jboss provide that ).

I'm afraid using 2 MBeanServers is not the best solution - if we put the
mbean server in the parent loader, I'm pretty sure user code will be able
to get it ( if it wants to ). And the code can become very complicated.

You know my opinion on this - if you don't run the sandbox, user code can
control the VM without problems ( with some JNI code - or introspection,
or by overriding files ). If you run sandbox - the JMX1.2 policy-based
access control should be good enough.

Costin