tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Algesten" <mar...@taglab.com>
Subject RE: strange messages in tomcat 4.1.18
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:46:04 GMT
Thanks for explaining that. I've referenced your answer in an enhance request with the patch
(16357).

Martin

8339.html

If you are using Apache (1.3.x, don't know about 2.0.x) as web server, this message simply
means that an Apache child process was restarted. And yes, these are non-harmful messages.
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#maxrequestsperchild
if you'd like to change the restart frequency (there's probably no need to).

To prevent messages from showing up in catalina.out you need to adjust logging level for org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.
AFAIK this cannot be done by altering log settings in server.xml. Instead, add line

   org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.level = WARNING

to the end of logging.properties in JRE 1.4.x's lib directory (by default /usr/java/jre/lib
in Solaris, /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.x/jre/lib in Linux). If you don't want to mess around with
default logging file, you can make a copy of it and add parameter

   -Djava.util.logging.config.file=somefile

into Tomcat startup script.

I'd vote for changing log level of these "server has been restarted..." messages from INFO
to DEBUG in next Tomcat release. There's enough settings to do even without tampering JRE's
property files. :)

Hannu