tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hannu Kivimäki <hannu.kivim...@keltaisetsivut.fi>
Subject Re: strange messages in tomcat 4.1.18
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:19:40 GMT
Hello Martin and Raiden,

>Subject: RE: strange messages in tomcat 4.1.18
>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:41:03 -0000
>From: "Martin Algesten" <martin@taglab.com>
>To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>I've asked myself this question.
>
>(I think) the messages are about a connection being left open (as in
>"Keep-Alive" and then being closed by the client.
>
>I'ts easy to find the where this output is made from in the source. It
>might be that "INFO" is a tad much for this kind of messages (perhaps
>"DEBUG" would be better?) ... However the logging system jk uses seems
>to be configurable, and in theory it should be possible to change the
>level of output for this component. However I can't find any
>documentation on how to do this, and 5 minutes of glancing at the source
>does not give any hints...
>
>Is there documentation for this? Perhaps a point in the JK FAQ about
>this message?
>
>Martin

This has been discussed briefly before, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg38339.html

If you are using Apache (1.3.x, don't know about 2.0.x) as web server,
this message simply means that an Apache child process was restarted.
And yes, these are non-harmful messages. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#maxrequestsperchild
if you'd like to change the restart frequency (there's probably no need to).

To prevent messages from showing up in catalina.out you need to adjust
logging level for org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket. AFAIK this
cannot be done by altering log settings in server.xml. Instead, add
line

   org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.level = WARNING

to the end of logging.properties in JRE 1.4.x's lib directory
(by default /usr/java/jre/lib in Solaris, /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.x/jre/lib
in Linux). If you don't want to mess around with default logging file,
you can make a copy of it and add parameter

   -Djava.util.logging.config.file=somefile

into Tomcat startup script.

I'd vote for changing log level of these "server has been restarted..."
messages from INFO to DEBUG in next Tomcat release. There's
enough settings to do even without tampering JRE's property files. :)

Hannu