tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] add the apr_queue mechanism to apr_socket
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:42:57 GMT

Mladen Turk wrote:

>One more...
>
>Here is the scenario:
>
>If TC instance is too busy or reached the connection limit the next
>connection is refused, causing entire worker to switch to the error
>state. This isn't very smart (at least for threaded servers).
>I propose that we use the apr_queue to solve that.
>The socket will be pushed to the queue, when successfully connected, and
>pop when finished.
>If we reach the connection limit the next one will block until the any
>of the active one finishes (releasing space in the queue).
>Also, if the connection is refused and we have some sockets in the queue
>(meaning the TC is busy responding), we'll block untill the connection
>is accomplished or timed-out.

I'm not an expert, but speaking about security issue, it is not
dangerous to have a DOS attack by adding infinitly sockets to the queue?
How long the queue will be? How will you handle connection that has been
resetted in the queue? Will they reach Tomcat?

My concern is by adding another "waiting room", we are just incresing
the number of connection Tomcat can handle. So why not increasing the
connection limit or just add the queue mechanism directly in Tomcat
connectors?

IMBW...you are the expert :-)

-- Jeanfrancois