tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper JspC.java
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:20:48 GMT

Kin-Man Chung wrote:
> See below.
>

>>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:03:08 +0100
>>From: Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org>
>>Subject: Re: cvs commit:
>
> jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper JspC.java
>
>>To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>>
>>Costin Manolache wrote:
>>
>>>Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>>
>>>Then why not default to the context path ?
>>
>>Can you give examples ? It's very hard to determine the context path
>>from JSPC IMO.
>>

>>>I think the naming conventions for the generated servlets should be
>>>settled down, documented - and treated as APIs ( i.e. no change unless
>>>absolutely needed ).
>>
>>Ok, but in the meantime, we must not allow non packaged classes.

>>>JSPC does generate the right package directory structure. I think JspServlet
>>>should do the same - if it doesn't already.
>>
>>Well, I don't think we care. JspServlet generates in the workdir, and
>>uses one CL per page. So packaging is not relevant IMO.
>>OTOH, JSPC may generate the classes in /WEB-INF/classes, so we would
>>need to create the full package structure. I'd like to point out that
>>you admin precompilation example does include an extra "admin" subfolder
>>in the output directory path.
>>
>>Remy
>>

> Well, there is one case that generating the classes with the same package
> name would cause problem, and that is when you have two JSP pages with the
> same file name (but in different directories).  Still not a problem in
> class loading, since the class files are placed in different directories,
> but you cannot debug them anymore since you cannot identify the classes by
> name - they have the same name.
>
> Anyone knows why it was done this way?

I did some refactoring of the JasperClassLoader and the package naming
over a year ago.  The code for all this in Jasper had been very convoluted
and added a great deal of overhead.  The refactoring improved runtime JSP
performance by 33% and compilation by 25%.  If you search the tomcat-dev
archives you can find the detailed description of what was changed and why.

I am -1 for changing the default package name for JSP pages compiled at runtime
from org.apache.jsp to something else until all the implication of doing this
are thought through.

Jean-Francois mentioned that there are SecurityManager issues related to
changing the package name.

Glenn