tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Amy Roh <amy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Connector-HOWTO
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:15:30 GMT
Bishr Tabbaa wrote:
> Tomcat-Dev,
>
> I am trying to develop my own connector for Tomcat 4.x.  I have strived to
> follow the programmatic conventions in the Coyote package such that my
> package contains a connectorimpl, connectionprocessorimpl,
> servletoutputstreamimpl, servletinputstream, requestimpl, and responseimpl.
> I added an entry to server.xml, started tomcat, and encountered the
> following error:
>
> ServerLifecycleListener: createMBeans: MBeanException
> java.lang.Exception: ManagedBean is not found with VigilentConnector
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createMBean(MBeanUtils.java:224
> )
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
>
> Then, I added an entry to 'mbeans-descriptors.xml' inside catalina.jar
> associating an MBean with my connector.
>
> <mbean         name="VigilentConnector"
>             className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ClassNameMBean"
>           description="Vigilent/1.0 Connector for Tomcat Standalone"
>                domain="Catalina"
>                 group="Connector"
>                  type="com.netiq.servlet.VigilentConnector">
>
>   </mbean>
>
> I started tomcat again and encountered the following error:
>
> ServerLifecycleListener: createMBeans: Throwable
> javax.management.MalformedObjectNameException: Cannot create object name for
> com.netiq.servlet.VigilentConnector@3db503
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createObjectName(MBeanUtils.jav
> a:873)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createMBean(MBeanUtils.java:231
> )
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
>
> I looked at the 4.1.18 src code of MBeanUtils.java and discovered that the
> instanceof operator is applied to concrete classes!  I prefer not to change
> the source, but it appears that this is the only available fork in the road.
> Is there something that I am missing?

You'll have to change createObjectName for connectors to handle your
specific connector if you like JMX support as you can see if you looked
at the code.  Even if you do that, admin webapp won't be able to support
editing your own connector since it's connector specific.  You can fully
disable JMX by commenting out Listeners if you don't want to change any
code.

Amy