tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Amy Roh <amy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR77 names for Context ( and ServletWrapper )
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:06:15 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> I'm not very familiar with the /admin - how difficult
> would it be to change the naming format for Contexts ?

It's not TOO difficult.  You'll need to change createObjectName() for
context in MBeanUtils and also in context actions classes so that they
query for the right mbean name.  There're quiet a few places... :-(

> JSR77 defines some pretty clear names for Context and Servet -
> and I think we should use that where possible.
>
> Another issue I have is the name of the Valves, which uses
> the hashcode of the valve object. I would preffer to have
> an easier form - a counter indicating the position of the valve
> in the chain ( unique for the container where the valve is attached ).

same for valves.

> Again - need help with the /admin.
>
> Finally, the issue of "domain". In JSR77 ( and in general )
> the domain can be used to create separate namespaces - and I think
> the "domain" should match the engine name and the jsrRoute. That
> would simplify a lot:
>  - a domain represents a particular tomcat Engine.
>  - each engine must have a unique identifier
>  - this will be used for load balancing ( as jvmRoute - no longer separate
> config )
>  - it will also be visible in the JMX console. Assuming remote-JMX
> is supported - each tomcat will be visible in a separate domain.
>  - you can have multiple Engines in the same VM ( just like today ),
> but each will have a separate domain and will be completely separated
> from each other.
>
> Not sure if the /admin is using the domain somehere.

I don't think admin uses domain currently.

> Opinions ? Anyone willing to help ?

I'm willing to help if you send new mbean name formats for context and
valves.  I can't promise anything quick since I'm in the middle of
different things.  :-)

Thanks,
Amy