tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bishr Tabbaa <Bishr.Tab...@NetIQ.com>
Subject Connector-HOWTO
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:36:38 GMT
Tomcat-Dev,

I am trying to develop my own connector for Tomcat 4.x.  I have strived to
follow the programmatic conventions in the Coyote package such that my
package contains a connectorimpl, connectionprocessorimpl,
servletoutputstreamimpl, servletinputstream, requestimpl, and responseimpl.
I added an entry to server.xml, started tomcat, and encountered the
following error:

ServerLifecycleListener: createMBeans: MBeanException
java.lang.Exception: ManagedBean is not found with VigilentConnector
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createMBean(MBeanUtils.java:224
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

Then, I added an entry to 'mbeans-descriptors.xml' inside catalina.jar
associating an MBean with my connector.

<mbean         name="VigilentConnector"
            className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ClassNameMBean"
          description="Vigilent/1.0 Connector for Tomcat Standalone"
               domain="Catalina"
                group="Connector"
                 type="com.netiq.servlet.VigilentConnector">

  </mbean>

I started tomcat again and encountered the following error:

ServerLifecycleListener: createMBeans: Throwable
javax.management.MalformedObjectNameException: Cannot create object name for
com.netiq.servlet.VigilentConnector@3db503
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createObjectName(MBeanUtils.jav
a:873)
        at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.MBeanUtils.createMBean(MBeanUtils.java:231
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

I looked at the 4.1.18 src code of MBeanUtils.java and discovered that the
instanceof operator is applied to concrete classes!  I prefer not to change
the source, but it appears that this is the only available fork in the road.
Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks,
Bishr

-------------------------------------
Bishr Tabbaa
NetIQ Corporation
1233 West Loop South # 1800
Houston, TX 77027
Toll Free: 1-888-400-2834
Fax:       713-523-6393
Direct:    713-860-9726
Mobile:    832-651-0610
bishr.tabbaa@netiq.com
Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
strictly prohibited.  Thank you.  NetIQ, Inc.