tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] minimal JSR 154 only distribution
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:33:56 GMT wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:36:02PM -0800, Amy Roh wrote:
>> Martin that too many distributions can be confusing for users.  I vote
>> for one
>> distribution with options to disable whatever you don't want.  Simple yet
>> everyone gets only what they want.
> I'm a newb here, but it seems to me the fundamental issue
> is how difficult is it to add or subtract bits and pieces.
> If it was trivial (i.e. a simple unzipping or untarring)
> then the best thing to offer for download would be:
> 1 a minimal
> 2. a 'maximal'
> and all the modules in between for people to roll their own.

I think we all agree on such a model ( I haven't heard any opinion
against such thing ). This is not an issue we disagree on.

JSR154-only implies a distribution with a very specific set of features.
That's not minimal and not the same thing with the discussion about
modules ( even if it can support added modules ).

As an example - jboss minimal doesn't include any service
at all, just JMX and the hot deployment support.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message