tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Minimal tomcat ( JSR154 + JSR152 )
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:13:07 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Martin Algesten wrote:
>> This is the soundest idea I've heard so far. Multiple distributions
>> sounds like disaster area to me. I currently think it is hard enough for
>> a new user to decide Tomcat3/Tomcat4.x/Tomcat5 when presented with the
>> choices. If there in addition to that is "Tomcat4 lite", "Tomcat4 all"
>> "Tomcat5 lite".... disaster, don't go there.
>>
>> I want one distribution with --enable --disable for source compilation
>> and if I choose binary I can edit the config files (server.xml or
>> whatever) to remove the options I don't need. Exactly like httpd (sort
>> of)...
>
> I really cannot believe I could agree with you on something ;-)

Don't know what you two disagree on - but I think this is a very
good point.

Consider my "minimal tomcat distribution" dead - for now.

I'm not sure about "one distribution with --enable and --disable",
but I think one distribution with different profiles ( and the
option to create a profile that includes what you need and nothing
else ) is the best choice.

And it seems JMX plus some class loader magic plus some config
can do that.

Costin