tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Tomcat modules
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:43:19 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I plan to reorganize the jakarta-tomcat-catalina repository as follows:
>>>- catalina folder: Catalina core; this depends on the servlet API
>>>- modules folders: Optional functionality and modules (one example is
>>>clustering), but which depends on the Catalina API; this does not
>>>directly depend on the servlet API
>>>
>>>Alternately, using another repository (j-t-modules) is possible, but
>>>just using a folder looks simpler, as there is an API dependency.
>>>
>>>I propose putting independent modules in j-t-connectors (like eventually
>>>some of the naming features).
>>>
>>><ballot>
>>>+1 [X]
>>>-1 [ ]
>>></ballot>
>>

>> Some comments: while it is a good idea for the new code ( clustering ),
>> it's probably not worth moving the existing code around. At least
>> not until we decide about the Action and auth*.
>>
>> Code that is independent of catalina core should be in j-t-connectors or
>> j-t-modules. Probably a modules cvs repository would make sense - but
>> there's no problem with using j-t-connectors.
>
> Ok, so to paraphrase:
> - Catalina core: stays in j-t-catalina/catalina
> - Modules which use the Catalina API: j-t-catalina/modules (or by
> component name, like j-t-catalina/cluster ?)

I think j-t-catalina/cluster is better.

> - Rest: j-t-c

Sounds good. j-t-module may be better name - but I don't think it's
worth the effort. Maybe we just extend "connector" to more than
web-server-connector, but external-stuff-connector :-)

> I won't bother moving code around for now then (and you like doing that
> way too much, so I'll let you do it if it's needed ;-) ).

Please do move the cluster and new stuff :-)
I like things to be clear and well organized - but we should first
have a clear decision on what we want. Cluster seems clear -
it'll be optional, well separated - and minimal interface changes in
catalina to support it. ( later on we can support other kinds of
cluster - in addition to javagroup - if we want, in a separate module ).

Costin