tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: [VOTE] minimal JSR 154 only distribution
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:14:58 GMT
As this is hopefully nearing a wrap-up vote...

>> Right.  You need a distribution tailored for your use.  Others may
>> slightly different dists they need. Where does it stop? Would we end
>> with 2-3 dozen different distributions?  Tomcat can be used in so
>> different ways that it can be very difficult for those devs who vote
>> decide on how many dists there should be and what they should

I agree with that.

>I think this is a bad good idea.
>That's more or less what the Windows installer does or could do, and
>that's good as that's what Windows users expect.

Windows users (including myself part of the time) more or less expect
crap.  They don't mind having to reboot all the time.

>However, I doubt Unix people are used to or like installers and similar

I think so too.  And there's the not-insignificant hassle of keeping the
installer itself bug-free, well-documented, etc.

>Profiles look similar to how well known servers work, so I clearly
>that solution.

Ditto.  As a user of JBoss and other servers, I like that.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>