tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Smith <msm...@xn.com.au>
Subject Re: MOVE method processing of WebdavServlet
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2002 01:32:46 GMT
Yokota Takehiko wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> There is a question about WebdavServlet in Tomcat4.1.12.
>
> I tried to send MOVE request to WebdavServlet
> and I expected that a file was moved, but it was copied and deleted.
>
> I think org.apache.catalina.servlets.WebdavServlet#doMove() should
> move resource instead of copying and deleting. (Or first try to move,
> and then copy and delete if it failed).
>
> What do you think this idea is?

The webdav spec says that a MOVE should be treated as a COPY followed by
a DELETE. It's difficult to precisely maintain these semantics without
actually _doing_ a copy then a delete (though in the fairly limited
catalina webdav servlet it shouldn't be too hard). There's no compelling
reason to make this change.

Mike