tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] minimal JSR 154 only distribution
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 08:05:58 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
>
>> on 2002/12/10 3:23 PM, "Glenn Nielsen" <glenn@mail.more.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Then we only have one download (perhaps large) but with a variety
>>> of different installs.
>>

>> Right now, I have to specially distribute Tomcat for Scarab. Instead,
>> I want
>> one small download that I can point people at and tell them to copy their
>> scarab.war into. It should be a download which only contains code and
>> data
>> that Scarab requires (which is a minimal JSR 154 container).
>>
>> -jon
>>

> Right.  You need a distribution tailored for your use.  Others may have
> slightly different dists they need. Where does it stop? Would we end up
> with 2-3 dozen different distributions?  Tomcat can be used in so many
> different ways that it can be very difficult for those devs who vote to
> decide on how many dists there should be and what they should contain.
>
> A single distribution with the most used components which included
> ant with different install targets would be much more flexible.  Those
> components not included with Tomcat could be installed by automating
> retrieval and installation from a remote site.
>
> This achieves your goal of being able to easily setup a servlet only
> instance of Tomcat _and_ meets the requirement of only having one
> distribution.
>
> The contentious issue would be what components are bundled with
> Tomcat and which can be installed but have to be retrieved from a
> remote site.

I think this is a bad good idea.
That's more or less what the Windows installer does or could do, and
that's good as that's what Windows users expect.

However, I doubt Unix people are used to or like installers and similar
technologies.

Profiles look similar to how well known servers work, so I clearly favor
that solution.

I think it would be time to do a wrap up vote.

Remy