tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: [RFC] Make jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase common for both Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:04:58 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
>> With Tomcat 4.1 released many tomcat developers have been reticent to
>> add new features
>> to its codebase for a number of reasons.  All the development going on
>> in Tomcat 5 and
>> wanting to keep the number of codebase's where bug fix patches have to
>> be applied to a
>> minimum.
>>
>> There are alot of ideas for new features that I would like to see end
>> up in a Tomcat 4.2
>> release. Especially since we don't know when the Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0
>> specs will be finalized
>> so that Tomcat 5 can be released.
>>
>> There isn't that much difference in the core of catalina between the
>> Servlet 2.3 and
>> Servlet 2.4 specs. It might be possible to change the
>> jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase
>> to make it neutral to what Servlet spec is implemented.  Then this
>> codebase could be
>> used for future Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 development.  And we then have a
>> common codebase
>> for applying bug fix patches.
>>
>> This seems to fit in with the direction we have been going where
>> different components
>> are kept in different code bases. naming, connectors, jasper, etc.
>>
>> Comments?
>

> This is hard to do (Catalina has never been written to allow facades).
> Also, for Tomcat 5, j-t-catalina is actually the Servlet 2.4 facade.

Right, I am aware of that. There isn't that much difference between Servlet 2.3
and Servlet 2.4.  Having a common codebase for both would make addition of new
non spec related features easier and bug fix patching easier.

> I'd like to point out that Jasper 2 from TC 5 is diverging from Jasper 2
> from TC 4.1 very very quickly. Do you want a common codebase and some
> facades for that too ? ;-)

No. The JSP 2 spec changes from JSP 1.2 are so extensive it doesn't make
sense to do so, also jasper is primarily implementing the JSP spec.
Whereas the core of catalina is where all the non spec related features get added.

> Connectors is in common, because of the set of facades used in Coyote.
>
> I have no interest in that project, and see no point in trying to extend
> the life of the old API (given that the new one is quite similar).
>
> -0 from me (ie, go ahead if there's some developer interest; of course,
> implementation details will need to be discussed further).
>
> Remy

There needs to be someplace where new features can be added to the Tocmat 4 branch.
You have been against adding new features to Tomcat 4 head, creating a Tocmat 4.2 branch for
developement, and now against making j-t-catalina common to both Tomcat 4 & 5.

If this is what you want then perhaps you should propose a VOTE to freeze all work on
Tomcat 4 except for bug fixes.  And I mean all work.  If the community votes to do that
then I will stop asking and perhaps go review the rules for revolutionaries.

Regards,

Glenn