tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] Make jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase common for both Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:58:16 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
>> With Tomcat 4.1 released many tomcat developers have been reticent to
>> add new features
>> to its codebase for a number of reasons.  All the development going on
>> in Tomcat 5 and
>> wanting to keep the number of codebase's where bug fix patches have to
>> be applied to a
>> minimum.
>>
>> There are alot of ideas for new features that I would like to see end
>> up in a Tomcat 4.2
>> release. Especially since we don't know when the Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0
>> specs will be finalized
>> so that Tomcat 5 can be released.
>>
>> There isn't that much difference in the core of catalina between the
>> Servlet 2.3 and
>> Servlet 2.4 specs. It might be possible to change the
>> jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase
>> to make it neutral to what Servlet spec is implemented.  Then this
>> codebase could be
>> used for future Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 development.  And we then have a
>> common codebase
>> for applying bug fix patches.
>>
>> This seems to fit in with the direction we have been going where
>> different components
>> are kept in different code bases. naming, connectors, jasper, etc.
>>
>> Comments?
>

> This is hard to do (Catalina has never been written to allow facades).
> Also, for Tomcat 5, j-t-catalina is actually the Servlet 2.4 facade.
>
> I'd like to point out that Jasper 2 from TC 5 is diverging from Jasper 2
> from TC 4.1 very very quickly. Do you want a common codebase and some
> facades for that too ? ;-)
>
> Connectors is in common, because of the set of facades used in Coyote.
>
> I have no interest in that project, and see no point in trying to extend
> the life of the old API (given that the new one is quite similar).
>
> -0 from me (ie, go ahead if there's some developer interest; of course,
> implementation details will need to be discussed further).

I'd like to add that these comments only apply to a portion of the code
in j-t-catalina. A significant amount of code is independent (the
stores, the auth, the realms, etc, etc), and could be put in that
legendary j-t-modules repository ;-)

I don't see how j-t-jasper could be independent of the API (nor the rest
of j-t-catalina); at least not without a prohibitive amount of work.

Remy