tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] Make jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase common for both Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:34:20 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> With Tomcat 4.1 released many tomcat developers have been reticent to
> add new features
> to its codebase for a number of reasons.  All the development going on
> in Tomcat 5 and
> wanting to keep the number of codebase's where bug fix patches have to
> be applied to a
> minimum.
>
> There are alot of ideas for new features that I would like to see end up
> in a Tomcat 4.2
> release. Especially since we don't know when the Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0
> specs will be finalized
> so that Tomcat 5 can be released.
>
> There isn't that much difference in the core of catalina between the
> Servlet 2.3 and
> Servlet 2.4 specs. It might be possible to change the
> jakarta-tomcat-catalina codebase
> to make it neutral to what Servlet spec is implemented.  Then this
> codebase could be
> used for future Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 development.  And we then have a
> common codebase
> for applying bug fix patches.
>
> This seems to fit in with the direction we have been going where
> different components
> are kept in different code bases. naming, connectors, jasper, etc.
>
> Comments?

This is hard to do (Catalina has never been written to allow facades).
Also, for Tomcat 5, j-t-catalina is actually the Servlet 2.4 facade.

I'd like to point out that Jasper 2 from TC 5 is diverging from Jasper 2
from TC 4.1 very very quickly. Do you want a common codebase and some
facades for that too ? ;-)

Connectors is in common, because of the set of facades used in Coyote.

I have no interest in that project, and see no point in trying to extend
the life of the old API (given that the new one is quite similar).

-0 from me (ie, go ahead if there's some developer interest; of course,
implementation details will need to be discussed further).

Remy