tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Cluster features
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:40:48 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I think the clustering features in Tomcat 5 should get an overhaul.
>>Despite some licensing dicrepancies, I plan to use JavaGroups for the
>>task (LGPL license), as well as some code which was donated a while ago
>>by Filip Hanik. Based on what is already done, the amount of work that
>>will have to be done to have quality clustering features seems small.
>>
>>Most of the current clustering API will be removed in the process, since
>>it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, and didn't evolve past
>>experimental stage (if I am wrong on that, let me know).
>>
>>I also plan to bundle JavaGroups with Tomcat 5, as it only adds a 1MB
>>standalone JAR. Configuring Tomcat for clustering will be quite easy
>>once all the code is in place.
>>
>>I don't know if that plan is acceptable for everyone. Originally,
>>I -1ed the code submission because of licensing and absence of
>>integration with the existing Cluster API. The licensing issue is still
>>there, but since the Cluster API now seems sort of dead, another
>>solution has to be found (IMO, of course there's JK available).
>>
>>Comments ?
>

> +1 if all new code goes in a separate module ( instead of catalina ),
> and is built as separate .jar(s).

I wanted to, however I can't do that without changing the API some stuff
in the session package (the damn classes are all package private) :-P

I suppose it's a lot better to stop the hacks *now*, fix that, and put
everything in the cluster package.

> I think it is time to stop bloating the base tomcat source and binaries.
>
> BTW, it may be a good time to move some of the current features in separate
> modules as well. ( SSI, WebDAV, etc ). For webdav - I would rather see slide
> bundled with tomcat and the current code deprecated.
>
> I'm not talking ( for now ) about a real module with descriptors or
> anything, just separate dirs in the CVS and a .jar target that can be
> included or not.

Ok.

> It may be worth reopening the "minimal tomcat" discussion :-)

Maybe. If the difference is only a couple MBs, then it's not worth it,
though.

If we do an alternate distribution, it would have to be radically
different IMO (like for example, being a simple set of JARs without the
complex dir structure). The laucher + the catalina.properties + future
mods to the config system should make that easy.

Remy