tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Cluster features
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:24:34 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the clustering features in Tomcat 5 should get an overhaul.
>> Despite some licensing dicrepancies, I plan to use JavaGroups for the
>> task (LGPL license), as well as some code which was donated a while ago
>> by Filip Hanik. Based on what is already done, the amount of work that
>> will have to be done to have quality clustering features seems small.
>>
>> Most of the current clustering API will be removed in the process, since
>> it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, and didn't evolve past
>> experimental stage (if I am wrong on that, let me know).
>>
>> I also plan to bundle JavaGroups with Tomcat 5, as it only adds a 1MB
>> standalone JAR. Configuring Tomcat for clustering will be quite easy
>> once all the code is in place.
>>
>> I don't know if that plan is acceptable for everyone. Originally,
>> I -1ed the code submission because of licensing and absence of
>> integration with the existing Cluster API. The licensing issue is
>> still there, but since the Cluster API now seems sort of dead, another
>> solution has to be found (IMO, of course there's JK available).
>>
>> Comments ?
>

> I could be a full +1, if we could convince them to make JavaGroups
> BSD/Apache licence.

Or donate it ;-)
One other project I have been working with (Slide) could definitely use
a distributed cache.

> Or use something related with BSD license (see mod_backend)

I forgot to mention it, but one missing piece of the puzzle is the HTTP
proxy(ies) sitting in front of the cluster.

It could be:
- Some webserver + JK
- Apache 2 + mod_proxy
- some yet-to-be-written NIO based proxy (which probably wouldn't need
to know anything about HTTP; doing a dumb TCP proxy might be enough)

Remy