tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Kin-Man Chung <Kin-Man.Ch...@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jasper 2 Synchronized JSP compiles
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:28:19 GMT
Performance-wise, wouldn't doing javac compilation in another process
be much worse than synchronized javac, at least for systems with small
number of processors?  It would nice if we can have some numbers for
comparision.

I know javac used to have memory leak, but is it still true for modern
compilers, such as the one in JDK 1.4.0?

BTW, I am +1 on the proposal.

> Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:04:35 -0600
> From: Glenn Nielsen <glenn@mail.more.net>
> Subject: Jasper 2 Synchronized JSP compiles
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>
> I have some ideas on how invoking the javac compiler for compiling JSP pages
can be
> improved.  Currently Jasper 2 uses ant to do compiles from within Tomcat which
are
> synchronized.
>
> There are currently several problems.
>
> 1. The known javac memory leak.
>
> 2. JSP page compiles are synchronized.
>
> 3. Jikes currently can't be configured for windows because the windows build
of
>     jikes doesn't support -encoding.
>
> 4. We may be getting some bug reports related to this problem noted in the Ant
>     documentation for the javac task:
>
> Windows Note:When the modern compiler is used in unforked mode on Windows, it
locks up the files present in the
> classpath of the <javac> task, and does not release them. The side effect of
this is that you will not be able to delete