tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JSPC refactoring/documentation
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:57:15 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> If I understand correctly, what you are saying above is that Tomcat 4
> development should be frozen except for bug fixes and all changes and new
> features go in
> Tomcat 5?  Is that a correct summary?  If so I think it is premature to do
> so, especially since a production quality version of Tomcat 5 could take 6
> months.

The real problem is the new servlet/jsp spec and implementation. All the
extra code is reasonably stable.

I don't know how hard it would be to separate the servlet-specific classes,
and use the same codebase for a 4.x release.

IMHO - if you get 3 +1 votes for 4.2 - I won't opose it ( meaning people
willing to work on it ). I am spending all my free time on 5.0 and ant ( I
only review the excelent commits that Bill makes in 3.3, sorry I can't help
more).

> If we are just maintaining Tomcat 4.1 (bug fixes), I would be willing to
> port any bug fixes to the Tocmat 4.1 branch into a Tocmat 4.2 development
> branch. And when a 4.2 branch is ready, willing to act as the release
> manager if you are not interested in doing so.

Propose a vote then.

Again - if 3 committers are willing to work on 4.2, then probably there
is a need for it. I would prefer the features to be done on 5.0 ( or 3.3
:-), but everyone should deal with his itches.

Costin