tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Leyke <alexley...@cs.com>
Subject Re: JK2 module for AOLserver
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:47:56 GMT
Thanks for the reply, Costin. There are some more questions below.

Costin Manolache wrote:

>Ajp13 protocol ( marshalling, etc ) is used for in-process communication
>and out of process communication. By marshalling the data we avoid some
>expensive and complex JNI operations, and benefit of all optimizations
>done on java side ( and the code is simpler ).
>
>The worker_jni code is just used to start tomcat in-process, but not
>for request forwarding.
>
>The JNI channel is special because it is single-threaded ( a doors channel
>will use the same type of code ), and that has some implications in
>how the request is processed - but the data encoding is the same.

Does it mean that in-process worker is a performance bottleneck in
single-process server?

>The JNI worker is working for IIS and Apache2, I see no reason why it won't
>work with AOLserver. ( I suppose you're aware of the jk1 AOLserver connector
>- it also used JNI, so you shouldn't have any major problems )

I am aware of nstomcat module which works with Tomcat 3, but not Tomcat
4. There is  nothing of that nature  under
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.12-src/jk/native. Should I look better?

>Just get the socket to work ( it's easier to debug the server-specific
>code), then enable the jni channel and worker.

OK, as I am working on it, there are some Java errors from Tomcat
startup within AOLserver. I can repeat those errors when running
TomcatStarter class from shell command line.

::::::::::::::
stderr.log
::::::::::::::
TomcatStarter: main()
Try  org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main
Try  org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
Starting org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.start(BootstrapService.java:244)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:307)
        at org.apache.jk.apr.TomcatStarter.run(TomcatStarter.java:127)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
Created catalinaLoader in: /<deleted - AL>/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/server/lib
[INFO] Registry - -Loading registry information
[INFO] Registry - -Creating new Registry instance
[INFO] Registry - -Creating MBeanServer
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8089
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:305)
        at org.apache.jk.apr.TomcatStarter.run(TomcatStarter.java:127)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
        at org.apache.jk.apr.TomcatStarter.run(TomcatStarter.java:131)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
stdout.log
Bootstrap: Starting service
TomcatStarter: Done
TomcatStarter: Done