tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Leyke <alexley...@cs.com>
Subject JK2 module for AOLserver
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:58:52 GMT
Hello!

I am working on a JK2 module for AOLserver and would like to receive
feedback on JNI and compiler issues I encountered. My environment is
Solaris 7, AOLserver 3.4 and Tomcat 4.1.12. Issues:

1) Can't use JNI worker. AOLserver follows single-process,
multi-threaded architectural model and its native scripting language is
Tcl. Executing servlets in-process would help to bridge a gap between
Java and Tcl and so is an important motivation in this project. My
module loads JVM and initializes Tomcat in-process, but then I encounter
2 conditions:

"ajp13" worker factory seems to be hardcoded regardless of actual worker
type. Here is a snippet from JTC-4.1.12/jk/native2/common/jk_workerEnv.c:

static int jk2_workerEnv_addChannel(jk_env_t *env, jk_workerEnv_t *wEnv,
                                    jk_channel_t *ch)
{
    /* Automatically create the ajp13 worker to be used with this channel.
     */
    jkb=env->createBean2(env, ch->mbean->pool, "ajp13",
ch->mbean->localName );
}

I changed the code above to use "ajp13" or "worker.jni" depending on
ch->mbean->localName , but that still didn't help, because
jk2_jni_worker_service function in
JTC-4.1.12/jk/native2/common/jk_worker_jni.c is a placeholder. I did
make sure not to use default "lb" worker for JNI.

Is JNI worker intentionally disabled, or am I misinterpreting the code?
I could fix jk2_jni_worker_service function with some guidance, but is
there a similar implementation gap in Tomcat 4 Java classes?

2) JTC build doesn't seem to be very friendly for non-GNU compilers. I
use Sun Workshop, and had to write some hacks to make ant and libtool
work with Sun's C compiler. In particular, both ant and libtool insisted
on supplying invalid "-W" command option to compiler. I suspect that
JTC-4.1.12/jk/jkant/java/org/apache/jk/ant/compilers/CcCompiler.java is
intended for UCB cc support, and I need to write a separate class for
ant to work with Sun's cc and bypass libtool (which configured itself
mostly correctly to use Sun cc, but still insisted on "-W"). Had anyone
had any relevant experience?

Thanks very much!

Alex Leykekh
Sr. Software Engineer, AOL Digital City