tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/naming ContextBindings.java
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:17:05 GMT
glenn@apache.org wrote:

> glenn       2002/11/12 18:23:11
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
>                         NamingContextListener.java StandardContext.java
>                catalina/src/share/org/apache/naming ContextBindings.java
>   Log:
>   Bug fix for BUG #13364
>
>   A Web Application Context reload by the manager web application
>   was causing named JNDI resources to disappear.
>
>   A webapp reload needs to dump the webapp classloader, then
>   recreate. The CL is bound to the naming context so the
>   reload was issing a NamingContext STOP_EVENT and then a
>   START_EVENT.  This removed all the JNDI named resources
>   but the code which runs at webapp startup which creates
>   the JNDI named resources is not run on a reload.
>
>   I fixed this by removing the START and STOP events and
>   adding BEFORE_STOP_EVENT and AFTER_START_EVENT
>   lifecycle events whose only purpose is to bind or unbind the
>   ClassLoader to the JNDI context.

This fix seems incorrect to me. The naming context must be destroyed, as
the references which are bound in it have been created by the old
classloader.

The NamingResources object is supposed to contain all the necessary data
to recrate the JNDI context. The question, and what I was planning to
investigate, is why it doesn't work. I think it did in the past.

I'll revert this patch when I find a better fix for the bug.

Remy