tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Fredrik Westermarck <fredrik.westerma...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: JSPC refactoring/documentation
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:34:32 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

>>Do you actually mean that a new feature will only be added if there is
>>enough committers that need the feature? Does this apply only to 4.1.x?
> Well... In theory it should apply to all tomcat features, or at
> least to important ones - they must be first proposed on the list,
> discussed, and then voted. We use 'lazy consensus' ( i.e. commit
> first and wait for -1 ) a bit too much.

Well there is quite a difference between needs and accepts.

The problem that I and others have experienced is that proposals and/or
patches, by non-committers, don't get discussed or voted about.

>>Since I'm not aware of the TC 5.0 requirements regarding the JDK and
>>such I might be wrong here but...
> AFAIK - JDK1.3.
> ( it should work fine with JDK1.2, but I don't think it is tested that
> much ).

Should...

>>My guess is that many users will not be able to switch to TC 5.0 when it
>>is released since their applications might have to be modified and in
>>many cases also be unable to switch since their application might not be
>>tested with the required JDK.
> TC5.0 should be backward compatible.

Should... Yes I also tell my customers that it should work, even if you
never can be 100% sure. :-)