tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSPC refactoring/documentation
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:56:24 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>

> >If I understand correctly, what you are saying above is that Tomcat 4
> >development should be frozen except for bug fixes and all changes and new
> >features go in
> >Tomcat 5?  Is that a correct summary?  If so I think it is premature
> to do
> >so, especially since a production quality version of Tomcat 5 could
> take 6
> >months.
>

> The real problem is the new servlet/jsp spec and implementation. All the
> extra code is reasonably stable.
>
> I don't know how hard it would be to separate the servlet-specific
> classes,
> and use the same codebase for a 4.x release.

There's also the problem that some modules with API dependencies are
getting really big (Jasper 2), so there's less interest to have that
capability. At least the really tricky code (the connectors) is now in
common. So we can't get back to the Tomcat 4.0 situation.

> IMHO - if you get 3 +1 votes for 4.2 - I won't opose it ( meaning people
> willing to work on it ). I am spending all my free time on 5.0 and ant
> ( I
> only review the excelent commits that Bill makes in 3.3, sorry I can't
> help
> more).

+1. This seems reasonable. If this gets some interest (and is indeed
needed), I would like to have mentioned in the release plan that
relevant patches have to be ported to 5.0, to avoid maintenance problems
in the upcoming release cycle.

Remy