tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [4.1.15] Tag tomorrow
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:01:49 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Remy,
>
> I went back and reviewed the discussion about the new version numbering.
> And reviewed http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html which it is
> patterned
> after.
>
> You are correct, under the httpd release plan there is no vote to tag
> and build.
> I was confused between the old release rules and the new.  My mistake. :-)
> And the release manager has a great deal of latitude in when they do a
> release
> and what is in it.
>
> I looked back at the email announcements when you have tagged and built
> a new
> release for testing and noticed that you are calling them a test
> milestone.
>
> Under the httpd release rules and what we voted on there is no such
> thing as
> a test milestone.  When a release is done it is called Alpha until a vote
> has been done to upgrade it to Beta or General Availability (stable).

I wasn't aware of all the fine print. The difference is a bit academical
in terms of how-stable-is-the-release, but it makes more sense (rather
than moving and renaming releases as I have been doing). I don't like
"General Availability" too much, so I chose to qualify stable releases
as "Stable".

Remy