tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSPC refactoring/documentation
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:43:41 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> >

> > I'm now independent and unemployed, so I'm not aware of the Sun
> > schedules for the spec anymore :-P Probably within 3-6 months given
> > J2EE 1.4 is in beta. The rule is we cannot release a stable version of
> > 5.0.x until the specs are final.
> >
> > Rémy
> >

> If I understand correctly, what you are saying above is that Tomcat 4
> development
> should be frozen except for bug fixes and all changes and new features
> go in
> Tomcat 5?  Is that a correct summary?  If so I think it is premature to
> do so,
> especially since a production quality version of Tomcat 5 could take 6
> months.
>
> If we are just maintaining Tomcat 4.1 (bug fixes), I would be willing to
> port
> any bug fixes to the Tocmat 4.1 branch into a Tocmat 4.2 development
> branch.
> And when a 4.2 branch is ready, willing to act as the release manager if
> you are
> not interested in doing so.

I consider 4.1.x can recieve bug fixes and minor feature additions
(example: the JNDI realm new feature which just got added,
optimisations, etc ...), similar to HTTPd 2.0. This is consistent with
the patches I and others have been applying, the release process we've
been following, and so on.

You may want to clarify your intentions, and since this release process
has been going on for 6+ months, I fail to see how you could be
surprised at how things are getting done ;-)

Remy