tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSPC refactoring/documentation
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:39:06 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:

> >Based on problems reported by users of JSPC Remy made a proposal
> >to deprecate it.
> >
> >This resulted in a number of people responding that they used JSPC
> >and strongly felt it should be kept.
> >
> >There did seem to be some consensus that JSPC could beneifit from
> >a review and refactoring to make it easier to use.
> >
> >It could also benefit from better documentation if it is to remain
> >part of Tomcat.
> >
> >Perhaps those who so strongly support JSPC should take the lead to
> >review, refactor, simplify, and better document JSPC.  Perhaps a
> >JSPC-HOWTO for the Tomcat docs once the refactoring is completed?
> >

> >This could be part of a Tomcat 4.2 development effort.
> >There has been some discussion about other possible new features.
> >
> >Some new features/changes that have been discussed:
> >
> >A SecurityManager XML Policy file that allows secure delegation
> >to web applications for setting their own policies (within a sandbox).
> >
> >Using JMX to instrument Tomcat for production runtime monitoring.
> >
> >Possibly a JSPC refactoring.
> >
> >Audit the SecurityManager web application sandbox.
> >
> >Are there other changes/features that could be part of Tomcat 4.2
>
> development?
>

> >From previous posts, I gather that Remy isn't interested in RMing a 4.2
> release.  Unless Remy jumps in and tells me that I don't know what I'm
> talking about :), the biggest change would be to find someone to volunteer
> to RM it.

I think we have too many dev branches already, and this is causing
maintenance problems.  I'd like to have those things go in either 4.1 or
5.0. Esp the jspc refactoring ;-) jspc is currently broken in 4.1 and
not really usable to a normal Tomcat user, it needs to be fixed in
4.1.x. Please :)

I'd also like to point out that the servlet API changes are very
limited, and it will be possible to use Tomcat 5.0 with the Jasper from
Tomcat 4.1. So I think "major" new features should go in the 5.0 codebase.

Rémy