tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposed jspc refactoring
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 20:34:45 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Hans Bergsten wrote:
>

>>>Removing the CLI and keeping the basic functionality seems like
>>>a good idea.
>>
>>"CLI" as in ...? Sorry, I'm not familar with this acronym.
>

> Command line interface. jspc.sh, main() and the argument processing.

Ah, I should have known ;-)

> Just use the jspc task in ant. My understanding is that ant's
> <jspc> can also generate code for other  containers, so one
> extra benefit.

But why should we require Ant? Isn't it better to refactor the code
so that the CLI interface and the Ant task can use the same core,
just using different interfaces?

> [...]
>>>I would go even further - since we are already using ant to
>>>compile the java to .class, it may be a good idea to make the
>>>.jsp->.java task 'first class'.
>>
>>Not sure I follow. If you mean to do this in addition to fixing
>>JSPC (with the -webapp option), it's okay with me.
>

> Basically add an execute() method and setters to Compiler, and
> calling jasper indirectly, using the ant task.
>
> Jasper will be a very large ant task. That means we could
> switch jasper versions ( or other jsp impl ), it could be used
> in other containers or applications, etc.

Are you saying pretty much what I said above: a common core that can
be used both a an Ant task implementation and a CLI?

> ( well, I'm not volunteering for that - but I think it would
> be a nice idea for 5.0 ).

I agree that this type of refactoring is better targetted for TC 5.
For TC 4.1.x I suggest we just fix what's broken. I still haven't
heard what _is_ broken, though. Can someone tell me? I'll start
running some test soon (this weekend, most likely) with TC 4.1.14
(or .15 if it's available by then) and see what I'll find.

 > [...]

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com