tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: Bug(?) and suggested solution for chunked transfer-encoding POST request
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:28:02 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Adrian Sampaleanu wrote:
>
>> We are having a problem with Catalina 4.1.12 (I believe we also had
>> issues with previous versions, but can't say for sure) with respect
>> to how POSTed requests are handled if the transfer encoding is
>> "chunked". It seems that request parameters in the content are not
>> processed in this case.
>

> This is not legal. In HTTP/1.1, FORM encoded data of a POST must have
> a content-length. You can do the parsing yourself, of course.
>
> Rémy

See RFC2616, Section 4.4.  An excerpt:

Messages MUST NOT include both a Content-Length header field and a
   non-identity transfer-coding. If the message does include a non-
   identity transfer-coding, the Content-Length MUST be ignored.

In looking through RFC2616, I didn't see any special case for POST
requests with FORM encoding that either required the use of
Content-Length (thereby prohibiting the use of Transfer-Encoding:
chunked) or vice versa.  If I missed it or if its in a different RFC
please post a reference.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks