tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposed jspc refactoring
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 18:58:24 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy has a point - the current code is not very clean, and doesn't
> seem to be tested/maintained enough.
>
> I use the ant tasks - and I have a feeling many other users of jspc
> are doing the same.
>
> Removing the CLI and keeping the basic functionality seems like
> a good idea.

"CLI" as in ...? Sorry, I'm not familar with this acronym.

> For example compiling a jsp page outside a webapp can't work
> in all cases - if it has includes, etc it needs to resolve, it
> needs taglib definitions from WEB-INF, etc. I can't see any
> good reason to keep it if it's half broken by definition.

Right, I agree.

> Also - compiling the java files is the job of <javac>,
> and the mapping and web.xml fragment generation can be
> more easily done using only the ant tasks.

Even though I see one advantage with including compilation to class
files in JSPC (simlicity, no need to set up Ant, which is not always
available in the web app developers environment), I wasn't aware of
the -compile option until this week (since it's not documented).
I'm okay with removing it and handle compilation in other ways.

> I would go even further - since we are already using ant to
> compile the java to .class, it may be a good idea to make the
> .jsp->.java task 'first class'.

Not sure I follow. If you mean to do this in addition to fixing
JSPC (with the -webapp option), it's okay with me.

> In any case - the task is supported ( at least by me, it seems Henri is
> using it as well ).
> If there are people who want to support the CLI and the other
> options - then we can keep them, but if not - I think it's better
> to remove them or mark as unsupported.

See above.

Hans
--