tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <jfrederic.cl...@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Subject Re: Client-cert authentication.
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:29:33 GMT
Moisés Serrano Martínez wrote:
> Thanks a lot Bob and Jean-frederic for the response but I´m afraid I don´t
> understand clearly the solution:
>
> As far as I know,  when I configure the server.xml of the Tomcat/conf
> directory in order to use the keystore where I´ve imported the trusted certs
> of the chain
> I thought I was saying tomcat that the keystore for the authentication was
> that, and it wasn´t necesary to configure another trusted keystore.
>
> <Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
> clientAuth="false" keystoreFile="C:\Documents and
> Settings\mserrano\.jbuilder4\Claves\CA_almacen\ca\server.keystore"
> keystorePass="396947j" protocol="TLS" algorithm="SunX509"
> keystoreType="JKS"/>
>
> Is necesary to configure both keystores?

Tomcat is only going to ask for the client certificates it could check therefore
  it needs the CA certificate that signed the client certificates.
The CA certificate are stored in "special" keystores file.

The keystoreFile you specified in the server.xml is for the server certificate
and server private key (That is why it is protected by a password, you have one
for each Tomcat you run on the machine).

The CA certificates are not encrypted because that the public keys of the CA's,
they have to be in a different files (I normaly use one per JVM).