tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat scalability
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 21:13:09 GMT
One good rule of thumb is not to solve problems that don't exist.  Your
first task is to set up a server and hit it with something a good
20%-50% more demanding than your expected load.  There exist several
automated tools to do this.  One is JMeter at
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/index.html .

Then, have a look at your actual performance and work on the bottlenecks
that arise.  If your application is spending most of its time waiting
for database results, cache them.  If your application is spending most
of its time creating and destroying objects, consider pooling.  If your
app is choking on serving up 1600 images a second, use a web server such
as Apache in front of Tomcat.  That will help with static requests
(images, static HTML) even with a single Tomcat server doing the servlet
work.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks