tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian Sampaleanu" <asampale...@activience.com>
Subject RE: Bug(?) and suggested solution for chunked transfer-encoding POST request
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:41:54 GMT

In section 9.5 describing the POST method, there is a paragraph:

"POST requests MUST obey the message transmission requirements set out
   in section 8.2"

but scanning through 8.2, I don't see a limitation of POSTed requests not being allowed to
be sent through chunking as Ryan also pointed out. Furthermore in section 3.6,

3.6 Transfer Codings

   Transfer-coding values are used to indicate an encoding
   transformation that has been, can be, or may need to be applied to an
   entity-body in order to ensure "safe transport" through the network.
   This differs from a content coding in that the transfer-coding is a
   property of the message, not of the original entity.

suggests to me that it would be possible for a request that travels through a series of proxies
to be modified to chunked transfer encoding and set back to a request with a known content
length before it reaches the destination server but that the assumption that a request sent
initially with content-length and received without this header but chunked will cannot happen
is false. As I mentioned, it _does_ happen in our case.

Adrian