tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Herrmann <...@jadn.com>
Subject Re: Client-cert authentication.
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:58:04 GMT

As someone else already pointed out, you need to configure the trust
stores (Which tell tomcat what clients to trust.) You can do that by
changing some config files, or like this on the command line (with
redhat)

export CATALINA_OPTS="-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/home/bob/cacerts.jks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=changeit"

Cheers,
-bob

export CATALINA
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/home/bob/issues/ssl/cacerts.jks

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 11:35, Moisés Serrano Martínez wrote:
> I´ve a small (or big) problem configuring Tomcat 4.1.12.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure the client side of the matter?
>
> What I have done is :
>
> 1) Create a selfsigned certificate (master certificate).
> 2) With the master create another one intemediate for localhost (signed with the private
key of the master one)
>         - Import the chain into a keystore: server.keystore ( the master and localhost,
this last one with the private key)
> 3) With the localhost certificate create a user certificate (signed with the private
key of localhost).
>         - Import the user certificate into the server.keystore.
> 4) Import the chain into a keystore: server.keystore
>        -  At  this point all must be ok because the server authentication works perfectly,
when a client try to connect to localhost.
> 5) Configure the server.xml:
>         - Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443:
>
>                 <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" port="8443"
minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true" acceptCount="10" debug="3" scheme="https"
secure="true" useURIValidationHack="false">

>         - Locate the keystore inside the factory, CoyoteServerSocketFactory, with clientAuth="false".
>                 <Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
clientAuth="false" keystoreFile="C:\Documents and Settings\mserrano\.jbuilder4\Claves\CA_almacen\ca\server.keystore"
keystorePass="396947j" protocol="TLS" algorithm="SunX509" keystoreType="JKS"/>

> 6) Configure the web.xml, if the auth.method selected is BASIC everything works fine,
the problem begins when I try that a context works with client authentication.

2.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">
>                 <web-app>
>                 <display-name>adminWeb</display-name>
>                 <welcome-file-list>
>                 <welcome-file>adminWeb.jsp</welcome-file>
>                 </welcome-file-list>
>                 <security-constraint>
>                     <web-resource-collection>
>                         <web-resource-name>adminWeb</web-resource-name>
>                         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>                     </web-resource-collection>
>                     <auth-constraint>
>                     <role-name>admin</role-name>
>                     </auth-constraint>
>                     <user-data-constraint>
>                             <transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
>                     </user-data-constraint>
>             </security-constraint>
>             <login-config>
>                 <auth-method>CLIENT-CERT</auth-method>
>             </login-config>
>             <security-role>
>                 <description>An example role defined in "conf/tomcat-users.xml"</description>
>                 <role-name>admin</role-name>
>             </security-role>
>             </web-app>
>
> 7) In the client side:
>
>       - Generate a p12 keystore in order to import the user certificate and his private
key.
>     - Import in the Client (browser) the master, the intermediate (localhost) and the
user certificates.
>               - The user certificate in the p12 format (with the private key) and the
other ones with the X509 format: localhost.cer and master.cer.

> At the end, the result is:
> type Status report
>
> message No hay cadena de certificados del cliente en esta peticion
>
> description The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect (No hay cadena
de certificados del cliente en esta peticion).

> Using CATALINA_BASE:   ..
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   ..
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: ..\temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\jbuilder5\jdk1.3
> [INFO] Registry - -Loading registry information
> [INFO] Registry - -Creating new Registry instance
> [INFO] Registry - -Creating MBeanServer
> [INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
> [INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8443
> Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
> Apache Tomcat/4.1.12
> [INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
> [INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8443
> javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: peer not authenticated
>         at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSessionImpl.getPeerCertificateChain(DashoA6275)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JSSESupport.getPeerCertificateChain(JSSESupport.java:118)
>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.action(Http11Processor.java:543)
>         at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:216)
>         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.postParseRequest(CoyoteAdapter.java:314)
>         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:221)
>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:405)
>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:380)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
> [WARN] Http11Processor - -Exception getting SSL attributes  <javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException:
peer not authenticated>
> javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: peer not authenticated
>         at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSessionImpl.getPeerCertificateChain(DashoA6275)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JSSESupport.getPeerCertificateChain(JSSESupport.java:118)
>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.action(Http11Processor.java:567)
>         at org.apache.coyote.Request.action(Request.java:367)
>         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequest.getAttribute(CoyoteRequest.java:797)
>         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequestFacade.getAttribute(CoyoteRequestFacade.java:141)
>         at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SSLAuthenticator.authenticate(SSLAuthenticator.java:154)
>         at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
>         at org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve.java:246)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2396)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
>         at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
>         at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
>         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:405)
>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:380)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
> [WARN] Http11Processor - -Exception getting SSL Cert <javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException:
peer not authenticated>

--
Bob Herrmann <bob@jadn.com>