tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Authenticator Documentation
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:18:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: Authenticator Documentation

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Bill Barker wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:08:36 -0800
> > From: Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com>
> > To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Authenticator Documentation
> >
> > Browsing the documentation for 4.1.x, I couldn't find any information on
how
> > to configure an Authenticator.  I know that is probably belongs on
> > tomcat-user :),
>
> Because you're so diligent about answering TOMCAT-USER questions, we'll
> forgive you this time :-)
>
> > and I know how it is done.  What I'm looking for is the page
> > (if any) to update.
>
> During initialization of a new webapp, Catalina uses the value of the
> <login-method> (which should be BASIC, DIGEST, FORM, or CLIENT-CERT) to
> look up the name of the corresponding Authenticator (which is also a
> Valve) class in the resource file
> org/apache/catalina/startup/Authenticator.properties, instantiates an
> instance, and adds it to the set of Valves to be used for the webapp being
> initialized.  The Authenticator instances themselves don't have any
> customizable properties -- they just implement the requirements of the
> servlet spec.  Is there some specific customization that you would like to
> be able to configure?

This much I know.  I also know that if under a <Context> I do:
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
            noProxyCaching="false" debug="10" randomClass="my.Random" />

than all of the above is skipped (and it is my fault if <login-method> !=
FORM :).

I just added the "noProxyCaching" attribute, and wanted to know is if there
is a page in the docs that I should change to document this (so I have less
questions to answer on tomcat-user :).